Mikumi National park is the most popular park in the Tanzania southern circuit it is easily accessible and allows an easy game viewing, Perfect weekend gateway.
Mikumi National park has two main parts divided by the main road. The northwest part; where most visitors carry out their game viewing both animals and birds; and the Mkata flood plains which play an important role to the park by providing pools of waters which results to a sustainable environment for both wildlife and plants.
In Mikumi among the different kinds of wild animals, you will also meet the giraffes with compromising patterns which have brought the debate among naturalists to be the cross between Maasai and reticulated giraffe.
- Located on the southern highlands of Tanzania
- The most reliable place in Tanzania for sightseeing of the powerful eland, the world’s largest antelope
- More than 400 species of bird have been recorded.
- Hippos in the pools just 5km from the main entrance gate are the star attractions of the park
- Quite possible to visit Udzungwa and Selous from Mikumi since it is the first park in the southern Tanzania safari circuit
What to do?
- Game drives and guided walks
- Visit the nearby Uduzungwa or travel to Selous
All year round